The National Institute of Music and Dance operates as a state-run cultural institution whose mission is to support and promote the development of music and dance culture in Poland.
The National Institute of Music and Dance activities encompass:
- development and professionalisation of music and dance communities in Poland,
- music and dance education,
- development of infrastructure and scientific research in the field of music and dance,
- cultural education and fostering wide interest music and dance,
- protection and promotion of cultural heritage in Poland and abroad.
The National Institute of Music and Dance also:
- supports numerous activities aimed at preservation, transmission, continuation and development of traditional culture;
- promotes and enhances the inclusion of artists with disabilities into the mainstream of culture and art.
The Institute of Music and Dance (IMiT) was established on 1 October 2010 by the Minister of Culture and National Heritage. On 12 May 2021, it was transformed into the National Institute of Music and Dance (NIMiT).